Call for papers
Special issue on Phytopharmaceutical Technology
- Luis Alexandre Pedro de Freitas, Universidade de São Paulo, Ribeirão Preto
- Pedro Ros Petrovick, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul
A special issue of the Revista Brasileira de Farmacognosia will be published on Phytopharmaceutics and Technology. Standardization of methods and quality control data on safety and efficacy are required for proper understanding of the use of herbal medicines. The efficacy and safety of any pharmaceutical product is determined by the compounds (desired and undesired) which it contains. As herbal medicinal products are complex mixtures which originate from biological sources, great scientific and technological efforts are necessary to guarantee a constant and adequate quality. By carefully selecting the plant material and a standardized manufacturing process the pattern and concentration of constituents of herbal medicinal products should be kept as constant as possible as this is a prerequisite for reproducible therapeutic results. Also, modern pharmaceutics should be applied to develop novel drug delivery systems for herbal constituents, improving final medicine therapeutic performance.
The purpose of this issue is to analyze critically the evolution of Phytopharmaceutical Technology research in Brazil and abroad. In the last decade, new technologies are being developed and intense changes should be considered, as well as their impact for countries like Brazil.
The issue will cover:
- Standardization, stability and quality control testing
- Selective analytical methods
- Influence of harvest and post-harvest technology (drying and storage) conditions
- New manufacturing technologies (extraction, purification, concentration and drying)
- Applications of novel techniques from modern pharmaceutics (oral dosage forms, controlled release systems, improvement of drug bioavailability, topical and other new formulations, phytocosmetics)
- In vitro and in vivo evaluation of herbal medicine preparations
- Techniques for improved stability of phytopharmaceutical formulations
- Clinical trials for herbal medicines
All manuscripts should be in English
Deadline for submission:
Extended to June 30, 2012
Tentative publication date:
All manuscripts will be reviewed as a cohort for this Special Issue. Manuscripts must be submitted till June 30, 2012, at http://submission.scielo.br/index.php/rbfar/user. Please select the option from the special issue drop-down menu in that identifies your paper as a submission for the "Phytopharmaceuticals Special Issue” and include the words " Phytopharmaceuticals Special Issue" on your title page. All submissions will go through the RBFAR regular peer review process and follow the same norms and processes. As manuscripts are accepted for publication, they will be previously posted in the ahead of print system.
For more information about this Call for Papers, please contact the Special Issue Editors or the RBFAR Editor, Prof. Cid Aimbiré M. Santos (firstname.lastname@example.org).